Maths Periodic Table

I’ve been doing a few exciting projects recently and in between we’ve been sorting the new maths corridor out. As a result I’ve been panicking a tad about my own classroom displays (I think I’m sorted now as a few of you emailed me some great ideas!) I have 7 boards, and the whole wall of boards at the back of the room are now sorted. Thanks in the main to Paul Sutherland (@paulsuvs) who kindly shared his maths periodic table with me that he was working on. The idea is based on an idea in an English classroom from  James Theobald (@James Theo) and I absolutely love it …

So I’ve followed Pauls lead in terms of some of the content and some online maths dictionaries came in handy. I also needed to get them to fit 2 to a page, and finally rather than have all the elements on one massive document I have split it into topic areas that I have printed onto different colour paper. Somewhere along the way I appear to have two extra squares so the “groupings” aren’t exact replicas of the “proper” periodic table but it’ll do.

I also know that I’ve missed some important key areas so I’ve made my title saying “some” elements of maths, and underneath it I am going to write something along the lines of “lets discover what is missing!” and then during the year as my classes do these topics I’ll add to the table with credit to the student that “discovers” it missing from my table …

TITLE

This whole display will fill my back wall – I suspect that even though I’ve reduced the size my maths operators will have to go next to the table rather than underneath, but I can live with that! I love it … Thank you Paul for the inspiration for adapting this to maths!

In other news I’m off to that there London again (5.30 am alarm!!) tomorrow … not a jolly by the way! and I am really excited to get this up on Thursday. Sad I know!

FILES:

Pauls Original (Periodic table Mathematics – Paul Sutherland Original)

Then mine work A, B, C etc across the table, with the operators underneath and the title at the top:

Periodic table A            Periodic table B

Periodic table C            Periodic table D

Periodic table E            Periodic table F

Periodic table G             Periodic table H

Periodic table I             Periodic table J

Periodic table K             Periodic table – Operators

Periodic table -Title

Below are some of the finished tables that people have tweeted me images of … hopefully there are many more to follow:

Courtesy of @DocendoTim

@mrtaylormaths

@manthasamson

@manthasamson

2016-07-18T23:30:33+00:00 August 26th, 2014|Blog, Resources|

24 Comments

1. Weston August 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Absolutely love this resource. Have spent the day laminating!! Within the files there appears to be a missing link for the last row (the one that contains percentages). Also there are two cards labelled “greater than or equal”.
    Thanks so much for sharing

2. malcolm August 27, 2014 at 4:12 pm

hi i can’t seem to find the last column on these files?

3. Mel August 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I’ve now added it to the blog post above
    Mel

4. Mel August 27, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I’ve now added it to the above post and also changed one of the operator files so that there are no longer 2 greater than or equals. Glad you like it 🙂
    Mel

5. Tim August 29, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for this Mel!

I can see it going down really well with the students and the department.

Just had a thought that maybe if I made them ‘liftable’ like a flap, students could add drawings or other meanings to the reverse. It would make quite an interesting activity to describe the ‘element’ given the information on the reverse.

I hope that there will be more comments during the year so that we can see how others use this resource.

6. Maths Periodic Table - News inMaths.UK August 29, 2014 at 1:12 pm

[…] Please read the original blog post to see where the idea originated and to download the files you need. justmaths.co.uk/2014/08/26/maths-periodic-table/ […]

7. Matthew August 31, 2014 at 10:09 am

Simply awesome! Thanks, as always, for sharing.

By the way, nice floor boards!

8. Mel August 31, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hi *waves* Glad you like it … and thank you! they are cool arent they?
    M

9. Malcolm Henderson August 31, 2014 at 4:27 pm

what is the font called used for the title some elements of maths?

10. Mel August 31, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Highlight

11. Angela September 7, 2014 at 9:07 pm

This is so cool! Thank you SO much for sharing your files!

12. Bethan September 9, 2014 at 7:18 am

Hi, thank you what a fantastic idea! Definitely eye catching! Would you mind if I translate this resource into Welsh?

13. Mel September 10, 2014 at 12:22 am

Absolutely go for it!!

14. Graham September 27, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I absolutely love this, but before I go to the trouble of making it, I wondered how much space it takes up? Roughly what dimensions do I need to allow? Brilliant resource and I’m sure I’ll fit it somewhere!

15. Mel September 28, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Each square is 13cm by 13cm so that’ll give you an idea and depends on how long you want it to be as others have just missed out columns to accommodate the space they have.

Mel

16. Classroom displays | ideasfortheclassroom October 2, 2014 at 12:30 am

[…] we’re on the subject of JustMaths her Voweless and Periodic Table of Maths displays are too good to be hidden away in a classroom, so we’re putting them up in the […]

17. Hetal October 8, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Hi Mel,

What a fabulous idea – thanks for sharing!
    I’ve just made my main display using your groupings and I absolutely love it – especially the title font.

We’ll see what everyone else thinks when they see it tomorrow.
    I have a feeling it’s going to be very well received 🙂

18. Mel October 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Glad to be of use – would love to see a picture when its done and also to hear about the reaction. Mel

19. josh March 17, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Hey…I too love the idea and instead of recreating the wheel do you mind sending me the docs…the links above aren’t working for me….

20. Mel March 23, 2015 at 12:18 am

have sent via email
    Mel

21. Andrew August 10, 2015 at 10:29 pm

thanks for sharing this – I have printed, laminated and cut out and it looks amazing laid out on my living room floor!! Can anyone suggest an easy way to transfer this onto my newly backed display boards? I cannot face the though of having to individually blu tack each square…Andrew

22. Mel August 11, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Hi Andrew. I used a stapler .. Didn’t take that long to be fair. Alternatively some of those sticky squares (like double sided sticky tape) will probably do the job just as well. Mel

23. Andrew August 13, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Thanks Mel in the end I decided to stick them onto backing paper using double sided tape and will be hanging them in my classroom tomorrow. Really pleased with the result – looks great – excellent resource, thanks again for sharing. Andrew

24. Anonymous May 22, 2016 at 8:35 pm

I used drawing pins and it worked magic