Pearson 1-9 SAM’s

margaritaI’ve been working through the papers from all the exam boards – I find it easier to use worked solutions rather than a mark scheme so thought I’d share.  I have also split the big SAM document into separate documents if you prefer them in that format.

There is one spelling mistake … on the pizza question Pearson appear to have invented a new flavour: margarita … personally I prefer margherita pizza but I’m quite partial to a margarita when sat on a hot sunny beach somewhere or out with my girlie mates (yes! I do have mates!!).  I am sure I’ll find something to rib the other boards about too .. so I’m not picking on Pearson here …

Things to note that have been changed from the previous version according to the “blurb” …

• improved the clarity of language and readability  (MEL: in short that means the papers have been through a “language expert”) ;
  • formulae sheets have been removed – formulae will be provided to students in the question if required (MEL: You probably have got the formula poster from either them or AQA .. to be honest I think both are pretty boring and I’ve added to my “nice to have” list to do over the Summer to make a “funky” version … no offence guys but I want something pretty on my classroom walls!)
  • the Foundation tier includes more questions targeting the lowest grades and
  • the number of questions with a large number of marks, particularly at Foundation tier has been reduced (MEL: this is noticeable and means that there are lots more 2 and 3 mark questions … me likey!!).
  • You may also notice that they have reintroduced the answer lines.

Edexcel Foundation 1

Edexcel Foundation 1 – solutions

Edexcel Foundation 2

Edexcel Foundation 2 – solutions

Edexcel Foundation 3

Edexcel Foundation 3 – solutions

Edexcel Higher 1

Edexcel Higher 1 – solutions

Edexcel Higher 2

Edexcel Higher 2 – solutions

Edexcel Higher 3

Edexcel Higher 3 – solutions

Next up AQA, OCR or Eduqas … I’m enjoying doing the maths!

2015-07-10T23:33:47+00:00 July 9th, 2015|Blog, Edexcel, Uncategorized|

15 Comments

1. Mrs Partridge July 9, 2015 at 11:03 am

Thanks so much for the worked solutions. I’m also working my way through the papers and find the similarities and differences between your solutions and mine fascinating!

2. Rosalind Martin July 9, 2015 at 11:33 am

First – thanks for posting all this valuable stuff. Second, thanks for the heads-up about the formula sheets. Their removal is a real shame IMHO (I wonder what other people feel?) – I am not sure of the implications – would the board now print them within the question, as a huge hint? Or do the candidates need to learn them off by heart now?

3. Mel July 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Would love to know the differences … Useful exercise to see how different teachers approach the same topic. Mel

4. Mel July 9, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Sone formula that are needed will be given within a question but some will be needed to be memorised like sine/cosine and quadratic formula.

5. Mrs Partridge July 9, 2015 at 12:35 pm

It’s not so much a different approach as me saying to myself ‘oh yes, that’s a much better of way of doing it’! I feel like one of the things I still need to develop (after 12 years) is an ability to ‘see’ more elegant solutions.

6. Juliana July 9, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Hi Mel, I am new to JustMaths. I would like to say that you guys are doing wonderful job and you are really helping us understand and prepare for all the changes in the years ahead. More power to you all.

7. Mel July 10, 2015 at 7:30 am

Aw shucks **blushes**. Thank you .. We genuinely believe we as teachers are stronger together. x

8. Anonymous May 10, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Grade Boundaries?

9. JustMathsMel May 11, 2016 at 11:08 pm

You wont find grade boundaries for any Sample material- boundaries are set when exams are sat by whole cohorts and these, by their nature of being sample materials arent “Live” papers.

10. Elizabeth August 1, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Even though we do not know the exact grade boundaries, do you think you would be able to estimate what mark would be needed to get a 9 ?

11. JustMathsMel October 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Nope. I don’t think anyone can …

12. Buddhisha January 18, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Thanks a lot man you saved my life just before my maths exam….owe you my grades!!:):):)

13. Peter July 6, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Many many thanks…. did I miss the answers to Issue 1? Are they available, please? They don’t seem very different in standard or style but i hav only looked quickly. Please keep up the good work. Diolch (Thanks in Welsh) Y Bont (The Bridge)

14. JustMathsMel July 6, 2017 at 10:10 pm

I’m not sure I did solutions to the first version as they weren’t accredited

15. Anonymous July 23, 2017 at 9:34 pm

sharing is caring – thanks so much!